Active Duty and Reserve service members (Army, Marine Corps, Navy, Air Force) should speak with their Educational Services Officer (ESO) or counselor within their Military Service prior to enrolling for admission to San Francisco State University.
We will need
- Authorization Form –submit to the Veteran Services Coordinator
- Submit 2 weeks prior to the fee payment deadline to allow for proper coding on your student account
Websites for Information
Policy on the return of unearned TA funds to the government
When a student withdraws, the Bursar or CEL must calculate the amount of DoD TA the recipient has earned based on the withdrawal date. Any DoD TA in excess of the earned amount is considered unearned. Unearned aid must be returned back to the respective Federal Aid programs.
Non DoD TA aid programs (Cal Grant A, Cal Grant B Fee and State University Grant) are not part of the Return of DoD TA aid calculation. However, they will still be subject to proration based on the date of withdrawal. The portion of to be returned is determined by the percentage of DoD TA not earned by the student.
The percentage of unearned aid is calculated using the following formula:
Total # of Calendar Days in the semester Not Completed by the Student
Divide by The Total Number of Calendar Days in the Semester
During the first 60% of the enrollment period, a student "earns" DoD TA funds in direct proportion to the length of time he or she remains enrolled. A student who remains enrolled beyond the 60% point earns all aid for the period.
Return of Fees vs. Return of DoD TA Aid:
In almost every instance, the fee refund will be less than the total Return of aid amount. As a result, when a student withdraws, a balance is created on the student account for the difference between the fee refund and the Return of aid amount. The student is responsible for paying this balance.
Our institution's schedule for the return of unearned TA funds to the government
|16-week Course Withdraw submitted:|
|Before first day of semester||100% return|
|During first 3 weeks||Partial refund from full time to part time|
|Starting First day of semester||0.9% pro-rata charged per day until fully withdrawn from the University up to the 60% point of the semester, within weeks 9-16. 0% return after 60% point of the semester|
Unearned TA funds will be returned no more than 30 days from notification that the student has withdrawn.
Please note: Invoices will be produced and mailed within 2-3 weeks after census as long as the student is registered and has submitted a current letter of authorization.
Billing information regarding Tuition Assistance:
Bursar’s Office Contact
To access your Tuition Assistance benefits:
Determine your eligibility and apply for Tuition Assistance (TA) by visiting your local installation education center or online education center.
- NOTE: Prior to your course enrollment, you may be required to develop an education plan or complete TA orientation. Your service's education center must approve your military tuition assistance for the term.
- After your approval to use TA, you will be provided with a Tuition Assistance Authorization Form. Submit a copy of your authorization form to the university Veterans Office.
- Once the Tuition Assistance Authorization Form is submitted, your TA will appear on your student account within 5 to 7 business days.
Pay for your tuition and fees through your Student Center before the payment deadline. Deadlines must be followed even if waiting for TA Authorization from branch. To view the TA tuition fee coverage, click here.
- NOTE: You will be responsible for the campus based (local) fees.
- Attend classes and maintain enrollment throughout the semester!